OIA Global envisions a better world in service to our environment, employees, customers, suppliers, and communities.
We take a holistic approach to the supply chain, recognizing that sustainability begins at the source, is refined in packaging and continues through managed transportation. We strive to meet these needs in the most efficient and economical means possible, to turn limited resources into new opportunities.
At OIA Global, sustainability is at the core of who we are and what we do. From our beginning in 1988, OIA Global has operated as a non-asset based logistics, packaging, and materials sourcing provider. We focus on delivering value while helping our customers manage their carbon inputs. When designing solutions for our customers, we document, trend, and monitor their impact. As we operate from 64 offices in 28 countries, our environmental and sustainability programs are designed to have an impact in the following areas:
- Managed Global Transportation & Cargo Consolidation
- Packaging Design, Engineering, Optimization, and Manufacturing
- Optimization of purchased transportation through Packaging Solutions
- Raw materials and second-tier provider management, source optimization and order aggregation
- Our company office and warehouse facilities worldwide
Environmental quality is a business priority for OIA Global in all locations where we have employees and service providers conducting business on our behalf. Operational improvements and manufacturing innovations that reduce the impact on the environment are core to our business model. OIA Global follows all applicable laws and regulations as they apply to each of our business units:
The components of our Code of Conduct include:
- Communicating our environmental standards with our service providers
- Partnering with customers and service providers on transportation and packaging optimization initiatives that are both environmentally friendly and economically sound
- Demonstrating measurable progress towards our environmental goals using verifiable international standards
- Seeking the assistance and input of our employees, outside industry experts, and government agencies in our periodic reviews of our compliance with environmental commitments
- Providing sustainability and environmental training to our employees
- Communicating our environmental strategy, current initiatives, and accomplishments on our website
OIA Global participates in several groups leading sustainability policies. Our intent is to learn, contribute, and adapt to ensure we can offer our customers guidance on topics from GHG emissions, packaging, and optimization. As sustainability innovations and trends continue to grow, OIA Global monitors the changes through key memberships in global groups leading sustainability policies. Our active memberships include:
- Business for Social Responsibility (BSR)
- Sustainable Packaging Coalition
- Outdoor Industry Association
- Snowsports Industries America
- Packaging Advisory Board, California Polytechnic State University
- Leather Working Group
- EPA SmartWay Transport Partner
Dante Fornari, our Executive Vice-President, Global Logistics, is our overall Executive Sponsor, overseeing OIA’s efforts in Environmental, Sustainability, and Governance. A cross-functional group of executives including Dante, Marc Bevilacqua, our Senior Vice-President of Global Packaging; Steve Akre, EVP & Founder; and Steve Van Baest, VP of Business Development, work together to assure all parts of OIA’s businesses support The Global Sustainability Team.
Our Global Sustainability Team is comprised of management and operations professionals from each of our regions and is led by Christophe Esayian, Global Logistics; Demaree Raveaux, Packaging and Sourcing; Timarie Mikolasek, Packaging; Becky Wheeler, Marketing; Pete Mulligan, Warehousing & Distribution; Matt Crouch, Global Logistics; Bill Brady, Director of Compliance and Risk Management; and Matthew Lover, Sr. Director of Materials Management. The team sets the guidelines of our policy and works to develop goals and strategies guided by our Vision and Mission.
Within each of our business groups, we focus on providing transparency and data for informed customer decisions regarding the sustainability of their supply chains. We focus on the inputs we control as well as those we manage, for a holistic approach to carbon management.
GLOBAL LOGISTICS: We measure our Scope 1 & 2 emissions and help our customers to measure and benchmark their supply chain Scope 3 emissions. These are measured in alignment with the GHG Protocol and DEFRA standards. Within traditional forwarding, we help our customers manage their carbon footprint through consolidation, mode shift, and route optimization.
GLOBAL PACKAGING: OIA’s sustainability efforts in global packaging are focused on Design & Engineering, as well as Optimization. We stretch across the supply chain for both retail and transport packaging. Upstream, we focus on sustainable sourcing, while downstream we help our customers manage their EPR, regulatory and commercial requirements with materials, recyclability and waste reporting.
We design and engineer retail and transport packaging with the dual goal of reducing fiber and substrate while Optimizing the packing for a reduction in freight volume. We utilize recycled materials to the degree possible and appropriate. OIA Global can measure the reduction in materials and waste materials and is also certified in PSRL testing and compliance.
As we optimize packaging, we are reducing the amount of wasted space in Retail or Transport Packaging, while at the same time designing for sustainability as mentioned above. Once optimized, a package has less wasted space, and you can fit more units into the same carton, pallet, and sea or air container. Thus, the result is optimized packaging and a reduction in transportation spend and environmental footprint. OIA measures this as a reduction in required transportation, more units per shipment, and the coinciding reduction in Greenhouse Gas noted above.
MATERIALS SOURCING: OIA’s sustainability efforts in Materials Sourcing are focused the chain of custody, source optimization, and order aggregation. We work with our customers to optimize available sources and capacities of suppliers, consolidate orders for production, in turn reducing the impact on the environment. We measure and validate the supplier for compliance to working and other social standards of OIA and our brands. OIA Global can measure the amount of purchase orders consolidated and the associated reduction in production, energy and associated transportation, as we consolidate the materials into as few shipments as possible. The shipments are then managed and tracked in line with our global transportation standards.
OIA Global is taking the following steps to fulfill our Mission
- Invest in a comprehensive third-party environmental management system (EMS) called Scope 5.
- This system will allow our offices around the world to upload Scope 1 & 2 facility data and will enable OIA Global to calculate our baseline carbon emissions. Once we have a baseline, we will target a 2% year over year GHG reduction.
- Publish our Scope 1 & 2 emissions on the Carbon Disclosure Project by the end of 2018.
- Develop and publish our customer–facing Scope 3 emissions self-reporting tool.
- Align our packaging optimization services with carbon saving initiatives in transportation to create additional customer benchmarks and reporting
- Engagement with Portland State University Graduate program to develop additional environmental initiatives to meet future sustainability requirements.
- Publish our model of partner sourcing by incorporating environmental criteria into our selection process.
- Consistently partner with service providers that operate more fuel-efficient fleets and use equipment supported by strong environmental programs.
- Target 80% of our outsourced domestic transportation to be handled by SmartWay compliant partners.
- Become an EPA SmartWay Logistics provider.